Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fighting the craigslist Fight (Part 1)

I love craigslist. I really do - at least in theory. It's a simple, bare-bones-no-frills community moderated site. Yet, since having moved here, I find the Austin musician section to be, frankly, useless.

First off: a few "dedicated soldiers" seem to have taken it upon themselves to "reveal all the craigslist spammers" crying that these posts are nothing but phishing attempts. These digital do-gooders publish lists of alleged spam postings SEVERAL TIMES A DAY - flooding my feed with offal.


(click to view full size)

That. That is my RSS feed (searching for the term bass) for ONE DAY. The highlighted posts are these jack-holes.


(click to view full size)

Now, honestly, I don't know if they're right or wrong. I don't know how many of these posts on The CL are people just phishing for information. I don't know how many posts (frankly on CL period) are of ill intent.

But I also don't know how many of them are legit and/or if they're just someone who pissed off SeƱor Savior at some point. No substantive information is given. Only sometimes do they include a copy of the original post.

What I do know is that I've rarely - if ever - seen one of these spam posts. Further more, said spammers only seem to post once a day. These "anti-spammers" post SEVERAL times.

SRS?!? Who's the #&@*$ing spammer now? I know we're musicians but we still have brains! #&@*$ING USE THEM!

So I spend more than half my cl time flagging their posts instead of reviewing actual posts I could be responding to. X( Fortunately I'm not the only one sick of this bullsh*t. Around half the time enough people have flagged posts to have them removed.

Still... Argh.


No comments: