Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Writing from this side of the line...

I seem to have a fascination with writing from... either the 'wrong' side of the line ("Far", "Don't") or the grey side of the line ("Better This Way?", "Can You?"). Rarely do I seem to write anything from the sunny side of the guilt/blame fence - where I'm clearly the "good guy".

I guess you could blame it on my growing up in the late 80's and early 90's. There's a sort of enjoyment I get from mining my questionable self-esteem. There's more interest in exploring the darker side of the psyche - especially if I *can* craft it into something that arouses sympathy or empathy - rather than dancing in "sunshine and flowers".

This time around is no exception.

I started writing this a few weeks ago. I don't remember the exact impetus other than just playing around with me DADGAE tuning. But then the first few lines came to me and I started envisioning something about dating someone with commitment issues. (Like me, perhaps? *HAH*) Then a real-life encounter took over and it turned into something... a little darker.

Regardless here I am singing from a vantage where... there's not really anyone on the "right" side.

And I like that.

Evening Gown

one shoe off and one shoe on
and you can't decide which foot is wrong
one shoe on and one shoe off
and you know: one step and you are lost

so please tell me just what you want me to see
and please show me what you would like to believe

one foot in and one foot out
and you like to stir these water about
one foot out and one foot in
and again we watch the games begin

so please tell me just where you want me to go
and please show me what you don't want me to know

'cuz you could lead me on
if I just play along
so spin me round
and take me down
I'll play your evening gown...

dot your i's and cross your t's
but you can't decide which demons to appease
cross your eyes and laugh at me
but inside you drop down to your knees

and you would lead me on
and I'd just play along
'cuz sometimes touch
is just enough
to take the place of love

so go and lead me on
and I'll just play along
these roads are kept
the dust well swept
I know this tune
so when you're through
we'll see who laughs
and who is last
and when you're looking back...

one shoe off and one shoe on
and you ask just where your bed has gone

No comments: